Anyone who has pets knows it can be a feat keeping your home fresh and clean. One question I get from pet owners is, “how can I get my house to smell like I don’t have pets?”
Unfortunately, most house cleaning products and fresheners are highly toxic to animals (and people too). There are safe and simple alternatives to stay ahead of the pet odor problem.
Pretty Paws Pet Wipes
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1/4 cup witch hazel
- 1/2 tsp. carrier oil
- 1/4 tsp. Animal Scents Shampoo, Seedlings Baby Wash or Dr. Bronner’s Unscented Liquid Castile Soap
- 2 drops YL’s PuriClean oil blend or Lavender
- Bounty napkins
Pour ingredients in a bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Place a stack of napkins in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Pour mixture over napkins to desired saturation. Use napkins to wipe and clean dirty paws.
Protect your pets paws and use Thieves Household Cleaner in your mop bucket. Common store-bought floor cleaners contain harmful and harsh chemicals like chlorine, formaldehyde, ammonia, and glycol ethers. Imagine your pet walking over the floor where these chemicals have been treated and then licking (ingesting) and absorbing them through their paws. (Same is true of humans… minus the licking part).
Pet Deodorizing & Cleaning Spray
- 1 1/2 cups distilled water
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 20 drops essential oil (good options: Purification, Melrose, Lemon, Citrus Fresh, Rosemary, Pine, Lavender, etc.)
- Spray bottle
Pour ingredients in bottle and gently shake till combined. Spray on couch, cushions, pet bedding etc. and let dry for 30 minutes. Repeat 1-2 more times if necessary.
- 1 cup baking soda
- 25 drops essential oil (good options: Purification, Melrose, Lemon, Citrus Fresh, Rosemary, Pine, Lavender, etc.)
Mix baking soda and essential oils together. Store in a clean parmesan cheese/glass shaker container or in a mason jar. Sprinkle powder over rugs, carpets, and pet bedding. Leave for 1 hour or overnight. Vacuum.
Stinky Kitty Litter Box Powder
- 3 cups baking soda
- 15-20 drops Purification
- 10-15 drops Lemon
Combine ingredients in a container with lid. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp of powder in kitty litter when cleaning box daily.
Pet toys, food and water bowls, and leashes and collars can harbor odors and germs. Wash them regularly with pet-safe cleaners like Thieves Dish Soap, Thieves Household Cleaner, and even Thieves Fruit and Veggie Soak.
- Brushing and grooming your pets on a regular basis will help cut down the hair, dirt, dander, and odor.
- Machine wash any (washer safe) slipcovers, cushion covers, and pet bedding.
- Use your DIY Pet Spray and Pet Powder to clean and freshen.
- Use YL’s Thieves Spray to dispel unwanted odors too!
- Diffuse, Diffuse, Diffuse!!! Use your essential oil diffusers to not just mask unwanted pet odors but remove them completely. Try oils like: Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Lemon, Grapefruit, Lime, Spearmint, Bergamot, Purification, Citrus Fresh, Lavender, Pine, Lemongrass, etc.
Have you heard that essential oils aren’t safe for your furry friends? Check out this helpful blog to put your mind at ease: Safety of Essential Oils in Pets
Want to purchase the products I use in my recipes? Find them at the links below (and please enter Referral Code 1236670 at checkout so they know I sent you!):
Sign up for a Young Living membership to access these and other amazing products at a wholesale price! Check out our Become a Babe page and connect with a representative to receive your new member starter pack.